4.11.2008

"The rain in spain stays mainly in the plains"

Well, in Vermont, it falls everywhere. But, I really shouldn't complain. We've been having the most beautiful weather. Blue skies, rising temperatures, melting snow. The house across the street from us has flowers starting to poke their heads above the ground. I was even able to break out some of my spring clothes to wear the past week. It's been wonderful.

Last weekend, I drove down to Boston to visit a friend who lives there. I have to admit that Boston is a pretty cool city. I would love to go back there if I ever get another opportunity to.
It was fairly rainy, so I didn't really get a chance to see the city, but it was nice to get to see my friend again and hang out for a while.

I guess you'd like to know the 'real' reason I went down to Boston though. Well, if you remember back a few months, I said that I was a pretty big fan of Julie Andrews... well, she has a new autobiography out (you really should check it out even if you aren't a fan. It's chalk full of history about London during the war and the ending embers of the Vaudeville days.) and has been traveling around doing book signings. I really didn't think that I was going to be able to make it to one because I didn't have the time or gumption to drive down to NYC again just to go to a signing. But Jen (my friend) called and told me that she had heard of a signing in Boston, and would I like to go to it. Hum, let me think.... yes?

Boston is only about 3 and a 1/2 hours from where I live (give or take a 1/2 hour depending on traffic), so it makes a lot more sense for me to go there... plus, i'd get to see Jen. So, I drive down, and we go to the bookstore and get in line (they were only allowing so many people to get tickets to get their book signed, we were one of the lucky 150). We stand there for quite a while cause we are at the back of the line, but we finally start making our way towards the signing table. At this point in time, we're going through the 'naughty' section of the bookstore, and let me tell ya, some of those book covers and titles were making me blush just the slightest bit.

As we are standing there, we start chatting with the line maintenance chicks and this gentleman walks up with his little girl. Now, they had been kinda running people off who had come only to stare and gawk, so the line chick looks at him and says, 'you're looking for a book right?' and kinda winks at him. Bless his heart, he caught onto what she was implying, but he wasn't very observant and picked up one of the racier novels and said, 'yeah, i was looking for this one.' I started giggling, and we struck up a conversation. As we were standing there, he asked me if I was going up to get my book signed, and if I would mind if his daughter went with me so that she could say hi to Julie as well. Like I'm going to tell a 7 year old little girl, 'no, you can't go see Julie Andrews." So, I said of course and told him he was more than welcome to go along as well.

Well, Jen goes first and I notice that she's laughing with one of the guys who stands beside Julie. So, afterward, I ask her what was so funny and she tells me that the guy had told her that she was acting awful happy, to which Jen replies, 'yeah, i ate today.' Then Julie just looks at her and says, 'Well, dear, I hope you eat everyday.'

It then is my turn, and the same dude takes my book and takes it to the table and I walk over with the little girl and her dad. I kinda nudge the little girl forward and prompt her to tell Julie her name to which they start up a little conversation. I couldn't tell you what they talked about, but it was the most precious thing. So, I'm sitting here beaming, and then I suddenly realize that Julie is looking right at me and saying something. I quickly bring my attention to listening and hear her say "Does mummy or daddy have anything to say?" The father and I look at each other and then proceed to stutter out an explanation that I'm not the mother and that we're just friends. To which Julie turns back to me with this "just friends my ass" look on her face and says, "oh, I see." She then signs my book, and we're off with me as red as a fire engine.

2 comments:

Alyson said...

Hey girl, what's up?? Lot's going on I see. Did you get any pictures of the book signing?
Oh and your quote is from "My Fair Lady"
I have been so busy lately. I haven't hardly posted anything cause I don't have time.
One of these days I will catch up and get everyone up to date.
Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.