4.03.2008

"Don't worry, I know almost exactly what I'm doing."

I have a whole new understanding of what people mean now when they talk about mud season. Mud season is the time when places that used to hold piles of snow now are home to large puddles. You can't even walk up the sidewalks of Burlington without having to ford a large stream or wade across ankle deep water.

Everything is brown now too, well... except for the pine trees cause they are forever green (hahaha, for-evergreen, hahaha... oh, you know you want to laugh). Native Vermonters promise me that the grass will eventually come back and be as green and as lush as it ever was, but I'm going to just have to take their word for it.

I have also learned something else. When you move, it takes you weeks to months to find everything again. I went out the other day and took photos of my new house thinking that I could post them on here... weellllll I will as soon as I find the cord that allows me to connect my camera to my computer.

In other news, I've been keeping pretty busy at work, I can't remember exactly where I left off, so I decided that I'd just start with last week and work backwards until I meet myself again. So, last week was a very busy week. See, Two weeks ago, I got a call from one of our mentors that the Harlem Globetrotters were coming to town and that she would like to take her mentee, but that the tickets were really too expensive. So, I thought to myself, self... there has to be some reduced rate tickets out there, so I started calling up people. I got a hold of the company who were selling the group tickets and talked to a lady who told me that she could sell me group tickets for $6 a ticket. That's like a *trying to do math in my head* that's a huge discount! Anyway, I got to take 21 of my mentoring pairs to the game last Tuesday night. We had an absolute blast! I had never gotten to see the Globetrotters, so that within itself was awesome; but the most awesome thing was seeing the matches having a good time, and watching the kids soak in the experience. They even got to go down after the game and get autographs from the players.

Then on Sunday night, we had our Volunteer recognition dinner. It was a frantic time at the office the week prior just trying to make sure that we had everything and that we weren't forgetting to do anything. I even made a slideshow of old and new pictures of our mentoring pairs to show at the dinner. We lucked upon a 5 star chef from the Vermont national country club, Chef Mark Timms, who donated his time as well as a majority of the food. Let me tell you, the food he cooked was amazing. We had a sushi bar, beef wellington, bacon wrapped scallops, and this cheesy veggie thing (don't know the proper name for it). It was wonderful getting to see all these mentors in the same place at once and get to hear their stories and talk to them about what they do. The Directior of CYFS (child, youth and family services; a division of the HowardCenter) was there that night and saw my slideshow. She liked it so well, that she wants me to present it to the rest of out division. So, next Tuesday, I get to go to the leadership council and present it to them and then we are going to decide how best to accomplish this. I'm a little nervous, I still don't really like being in the room while people view something I've created, but I'm also slightly excited. We'll see how it goes. Apparently there were people at the dinner who got a little teary as the watched the slideshow....

So, that's it in the life of Hannah right now. Just trying to keep up with work and get resettled into my new place.

Oh! And I was going to do this before I got so rudely disconnected from all of you, but we do a newsletter at Community Friends and it gets posted online. So, at the beginning of each month, usually within the first week, you can go here and download our latest newsletter. Our April one should be up tomorrow.

No comments: