12.31.2007

"Beginning's are scary and endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most."

Wow, ok... so the past two weeks have been absolutely, well hectic doesn't even describe it well. I just got back to Vermont after a week vacation back home and feel like I need another vacation. Actually I'm 1 of 5 people at the office today, so maybe for once, coming to work will be more relaxing than staying at home. Weird.

The week before Christmas found me playing Santa's (aka The Howard Center's) elf for our Holiday Giving Project. All other projects got put on hold as this one took top priority. It seemed like every 5 minutes there was a phone call or an e-mail of some sort coming in. Usually with some tale of woe or another crisis to handle.

It was a week long ride on a rollercoaster. One moment you would be up because something good, like being able to give 85 families enough gift cards for them to be able to buy enough food to feed their family for Christmas, would happen. Then the next moment, you would want to pull your hair out because someone was at your door asking where the gifts for their family were. There were so many bags and cards and just stuff that sometimes things got lost in the shuffle.

The coolest thing that stands out in my memory is working the toy store. The toy "store" is us setting up donated toys and goodies in one of our conference rooms then allowing case managers, whose clients didn't get matched or who have other families who just need a little extra something to supplement presents, can come in and take what they need from our selection.

We sent out a notice that the store would be open at 10 on the Tuesday before Christmas. As Deb and I were in making final preparations, we looked up at the door to find about 7 of our case managers standing there in line like they were waiting for Wal-Mart to open. There was still about 15 minutes until the official opening, so we being the ever so nice Holiday elves that we are… made them wait. We did however offer them munchkins (what they call donut holes in New England) from Dunkin' Donuts.

It was really inspiring to see these grown women standing at the conference room door scouting the toys and clothes that could be seen, putting dibs on things they knew their clients would like, and trying to bribe us to let them in early (to no avail).

Finally at 5 till 10 we sounded the horn, and they were off. Toys, clothes, hats and mittens went flying off the "shelves" (chairs and table) as people started filing in the room carrying boxes and bags big enough to fit their goodies into. It was fun to just watch them browse and debate what their clients would like. I even saw some bartering and haggling going on when something that someone else wanted was snatched up before they could get to it.

Helping people carry their gifts to their cars, I knew that at least these kids were going to have a merry Christmas because of the thoughtfulness of their case worker. A person who has no relation to them what-so-ever, but cares enough about what happens to them to come in and shop when in reality, they don't even have enough time in the day to do what they have to do.

Christmas at home was good. It was strange to actually be able to see grass and to go outside without a parka wrapped around me. I enjoyed getting to see everyone again. It's funny how even though it has been months sense I've seen many of you it was like I had never left at all. It's good to know that no matter how long I may stay away, home will always be home.

To those I got to see, thanks for making my Christmas vacation a memorable one. To those that I missed on this trip, I hope to see you again in the near future. And of course, if you ever feel the urge to throw yourself down a hill attached to 2 small planks of wood, or just want to build a snowman, give me a call... I'm only a phone call and a plane ride away. The snow this year is going to be wicked good I believe.

3 comments:

Alyson said...

Glad you made it back safely! It was great seeing you while you were in, can't wait till we can do it again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah,

Just thought I drop you a note to say I've been reading your blog and keeping up with your job and antics. Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing. That is wonderful! Vermont it a beautiful state! We have been there a couple times. In fact, last February we were in NH for skiing. We should have come this year as last year there wasn't much snow at all. They were making snow...can you imagine that after seeing snow this year. Well, anyway, there are some beautiful places up there. My friend and I drove into Vermont and visited the VErmont Country Store. We had a grand time seeing the countryside and finding this quaint little store. If you ever get a chance it is worth a visit. The main store is in Westin and the other store is in Rockinham. We visited Westin. The restaurant beside it is absolutely great! I love the riverbeds in both NH and VT. Well, stay safe and enjoy doing what the Lord has lead you to do! Until next time.
love ya
Karen Jaeger

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.