12.11.2007

"I don't know what to say, except it's Christmas and we're all in misery."

So, I know I promised a picture post... and one is on the way (lets see how long I can drag this out shall we :) ) but, I wanted to post about something that is a little more up to date.

It seems that everyone is right in the middle of the Holiday cheer. People are bustling about yelling at each other to "get the *bleep* outta the way or I'm going to run you over with my shopping cart." Snow is falling causing people to bundle up in all the clothes they have and curse their bosses for not calling off work for the day. Kids are looking forward to school being out and getting to stay at home and whine about having nothing to do all day long.

But amidst all this joy and good cheer, sometimes something happens to bring you back around to what this season is truly all about.

I, along with several other people at the Howard Center, have been working non-stop it seems on our Holiday Giving Project where we match up needy families whom we serve with willing sponsors in the community. All along the way sense we first started this thing back in early November, it has been one constant headache. One person wants to do it this way cause that's the way it's always been done; and another wants to do it another way cause the way that it's always been done doesn't really work; and they are all looking at me asking, "well what do you think?"

Yeah, that's a good plan, ask the girl who has no clue as to what is going on or how anything has been done in the past to give her opinion on what should or shouldn't be changed this year.

Anyway, there has been bitching and complaining and arguments both over the phone and through e-mails (that was a fun day, let me tell you. there were e-mails flying over the intranet faster than i could hit reply to anything), but in the end, things are really coming together.

We have over 120 families matched and the toys are starting to come in. Our hallways are starting to fill up with bundles waiting for case managers to come and pick them up to deliver them to their families.

Yesterday, a lady who has a connection to the Howard Center drove from Maine to Burlington to drop off 3 car loads of toys and goodies for the residential houses. There were balls and games and toys and movies, and candy and, just wow!

Today, as I was leaving for lunch, I noticed a couple of ladies carrying some bags with toys inside them. So I put my stuff in my car and headed back inside knowing that this was something I was going to have to deal with. I met them as they were coming back out the door and introduced myself and asked them what group they were from (we were expecting two toy drop offs today.) All one of them said was, "no group, just from me." And then they turned and headed for their car.

It was so surprising because you forget that there are people out there who don't want to be recognized for the good works they do. They don't want the thanks or praise, all they want is the joy they get from knowing they did a good thing.

Just when I think that I'm over this whole Christmas thing, something comes along and ruins it and makes me believe in Santa again.

4 comments:

Alyson said...

The pictures of you all stuffed in your little car are too funny!!

Alyson said...

The picture of you with the sign is definitely perfect!!

Hannah said...

isn't it though!! I saw that sign and was like, "Iva, take my picture!" they thought i was nuts, and people were staring, but i didn't care.

Alyson said...

When did you say that you were going to be in town? I think that we aren't going to be able to get Marci and Kelly out for a potluck. I sent them an email a month ago telling them about it and I STILL haven't heard anything. That's okay - they are party poopers anyway!! Guess you'll just have to put up with me and Dave. :-)